Back-to-school can be an exciting and nerve-wracking time for college-bound students and their parents! To make the transition into college-life easier, we’ve put together a checklist of everything a college student needs in their new dorm room.
Overall Room Needs and Storage
Most dorms are already furnished with a bed, dresser, and desk, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find creative ways to store all your student’s belongings.
- Cube organizers for miscellaneous items (snacks, school supplies, surplus clothing, etc.)
- Mini refrigerator
- Printer with extra ink and paper
- Mini vacuum cleaner
- Bed raisers
- Double-sided tape for hanging decorations on cement walls
- Curtains (for windows and in place of closet doors)
- Under the bed bags and bins
- Closet hangers
- Closet Maximizer (great for apartment living too)
- Bedside and desk lamps
- Mirror – full-length and desk
- Shoe organizer – Over-the-Door and Hanging organizers are ideal
- Sealing trash can
ClosetMaid Tip: Don’t forget to coordinate with your student’s roommate to make sure you aren’t duplicating efforts!
Space is a limited commodity in a dorm room, so you only need the absolute essentials when it comes to spare linens.
- One sheet set (some dorm beds need extra-long bedding – check the school’s dorm website before shopping)
- Towels (two for bath and hand/face)
- Two pillows
- Mattress pad (also may need to be extra-long)
- One extra blanket
Remember, laundry and bath items need to be portable for dorm living.
- One bottle each of detergent, fabric softener and stain remover
- Soft laundry bag for easier carrying up and down stairs
- Shower caddy (needs to be water resistant, ventilated for fast drying, and large enough to hold soap bottles)
- Toiletries travel bag
- Laundry rack and hooks for wet towels
- Shower shoes
Don’t forget the smaller stuff! These items are just as important to have as the rest of your student’s everyday things:
- Umbrella (small enough to fit in school bags)
- Desk organizers
- Mini tool and sewing kit
- Air mattress
- Surge protectors
- Extra trash bags
- Air fresheners
- Portable fan
- A first aid kit and medicine
Even though dorm life can be challenging when it comes to storage, there are lots of ways to make this small space work for your student.